Monday, June 16, 2008


Last night was a bit rough because for some reason she didn't want to fall asleep at her usual 10ish bedtime. We took her to bed and fed her early enough and she acted like she was going along with it. Just as I started to settle in she starts stretching. Now, I've learned that once she stretches she rarely goes back to sleep (somehow she can sleep through grunting, chuckling, and even crying though). Up she went and within 30 minutes she was asking for more food. Ok, so she didn't get full at her previous feed (this is starting to happen with her bedtime feed for some reason) and we decided to supplement. She proceeds to down the 4 ounces and again acts like she's going to sleep. Instead she decides to stay up . . . for another 2-3 hours. We're not sure how long because I think we both fell asleep. I know I did because I assumed my husband was staying up with her. But at some point he decided she was safe and not upset and he went to sleep too. So I when I woke up at 3am the baby was still up and eating her hands. I fed her and turned off all the lights (we usually leave one on dimly) and she finally slept. For 4 hours. So my total sleep last night was 2.5 + 4.

We could have slept another round after that but I decided to get her up early rather than continuing to sleep in, in hopes that this would reset her bedtime. She ate again and was acting very drowsy so I decided to try to put her down on her crib that way. Most likely she'd wake up (the effect I wanted) but if by chance she fell asleep without help that would have actually been a nice lesson. She stayed drowsy on the crib for 5-10 minutes then did her stretching routine. After that she was wide awake and played for about 30 minutes, rolling to her sides. When she started getting antsy I picked her up and that's when I noticed it. The back of her neck felt oddly warm. I touched her forehead and couldn't deny the eerie warmth. I tried not to panic and took her temperature. She registered a 99.2, her first official low-grade fever. I wanted to cry but instead I fed her and let her sleep on me while I willed her fever to go down. I figured she was mostly fine since she wasn't acting any differently. Three hours later I retook the temp and it was 98.6. Perfect!

Now I can go on with the rest of my day . . .

Maybe I'll play a little oboe for her :-)


Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! When you didn't update your blog for the longest time, I was afraid to ask you what was happening... in case it wasn't good. But what a little cutie you have. Congratulations again, and thanks for posting and for the pictures!

Katetica said...

Felicitaciones Hilda! Welcome back. A few weeks ago I became a fan of your WONDERFUL blog and was beginning to get quite worried and eager for news…

A couple of months ago I also became a late starter oboe student. I can’t think why it took me so long to realize that I might dare to learn the most beautiful instrument on earth. While I haven’t wavered a moment in the passion to learn, I was becoming quite disheartened and lonely – most other students posting concerns on the web seem to be in early adolescence at most – until I found your blog. I sat up to 3 in the morning gobbling up all your exuberant posts about your oboe adventure. It has been such a consolation! And also a challenge – I think you’ve progressed spectacularly and I shall be so pleased if I can do anywhere near as well.

I hope you get back to your oboe but I can understand what a struggle it must be. Alanis is really lovely. It is such a relief to know you are all doing well.

Thank you for your inspiration. I look forward to reading more about the “fututo”.

Muchos abrazos desde Costa Rica.