Happy New Year to everyone! May your lives be full of blessings this year and always.
New Year's Meme
1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Assisted on a surgery.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept most of them, sort of. Let's just say that most of my resolutions are "in progress". I am hopeful that things will move along further this year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my friend Alcira had a baby girl
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank God.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. I haven't been away anywhere since 2004.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
More discipline to do what needs to get done, primarily practice, study, work out, and keep the house clean.
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Yikes, the only one standing out right now is August 25th. That's when my mother-in-law went back to DR and when my kittens were born. Oh we also went to Shea Stadium for the first time that night and had a ton of fun.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Completing the post-bacc premed program at Columbia with a pretty decent average.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not making it into the Wind Ensemble.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was sick for the entire month of March with some VERY nasty conjunctivitis, the flu, sore throat, and stomach problems.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband. He's really stepped up to the plate to help me with things around the house and with bills/paperwork.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My Dad for being reckless like always. Mom for not sticking up for herself. My brother for making himself a victim and not working on improving his life. Though I must mention that he did also have a major achievement in 2006, one that will allow him to get his Associates this June.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My new oboe teacher, participating in the pit orchestra for that musical, booking our upcoming vacation, TiVo, and my new iPod.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
"Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) a tiny bit sadder because I miss some people who are gone or are soon to be gone
b) 2 lbs lighter. I reached 10% of my goal. LOL!
c) technically richer because I'm working again but my salary sucks
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise. Practice. Read. Pray.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Cook and clean. Gotten angry. Procrastinated.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
In 2007? Who knows? Maybe I'll be more into it this year.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Yes, with my new kittens. I'm already in love with my husband JC and my oboe.
22. How many one-night stands?
None. Ever. I feel so deprived.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try not to have hate in my heart. That being said, several people annoyed the heck out of me last year and will likely continue to do so into 2007.
25. What was the best book you read?
Yikes. I am embarrassed to admit what I read this year.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Quartetto Gelato (thanks Patty!)
27. What did you want and get?
An iPod (sorry, Terminal)
28. What did you want and not get?
An English Horn. *sniff sniff*
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
X-Men, the Last Stand
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was the most low-key ever. I turned 32.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting into a musical group.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Tried to look a bit more well put together. Less t-shirts and more tailored blouses.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Eric Bana is still my man. Though Hugh Jackman and Patrick Dempsey did it for me too this year.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Don't really want to go there.
36. Who did you miss?
My mommy who's now living in another country.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Dr. Singh and Yobany at work.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
It's not about waiting to figure out what the "best" decision could be. It's about taking control of your live and just living it.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"And I think to myself . . . what a wonderful world . . ."
1. Will you be looking for a new job?
Only if I decide not to pursue medical school.
2. Will you be looking for a new relationship?
3. New house?
No, we just refinanced.
4. What will you do different in 07?
Exercise, practice, and study more. I will need to keep better tabs on my time.
5. New Years resolution?
6. What will you not be doing in 07?
The baby thing is still up in the air and looks unlikely right now. But things can change.
7. Any trips planned?
Hell yeah!! Another Caribbean cruise. This one will be Eastern Caribbean and we'll be leaving from NYC. I also hope to make the IDRS conference. There is a possible trip to PA to meet some online gaming friends, another possible trip to NC to meet a church friend who relocated, and perhaps a trip to GA for my sister-in-law's Airborne training graduation. Oh, and I might have to pick up my Mom in DR. And there's always that San Fran trip I keep meaning to take.
8. Wedding plans?
My good friend Luisa is getting married in October.
9. Major thing on your calendar?
The MCAT on May 25th!
10. What can't you wait for?
Getting closer to my ideal weight
Playing oboe in a group on a regular basis
Finally deciding either to apply to med school or to definitely give it up
11. What would you like to see happen differently?
For me to get less involved in other peoples' problems
12. What about yourself will you be changing?
See #11. I hope to become more disciplined. It's the only way I will come close to having it all.
13. What happened in 06 that you didn't think would ever happen?
My brother passed the CPE! (I really hope he doesn't read this blog anymore.)
14. Will you be nicer to the people you care about?
If possible, yes.
15. Will you dress differently this year than you did in 06?
If I lose this weight I will. My husband has been warned already!
16. Will you start or quit drinking?
Drinking is not an important part of my life. I drink a glass of wine a month on average.
17. Will you better your relationship with your family?
Actually, I mean to distance myself a bit from the parents. We need to stop trying to solve all of their problems. It would be nice if we could but it's too much pressure and a bit unfair to us. We'll love them just the same though. In terms of the other relatives I just hope I have more time to spend with them.
18. Will you do charity work?
19. Will you go to bars?
Perhaps for our rock music gigs. Or for a friend's birthday.
20. Will you be nice to people you don't know?
I always am (even though I'm a New Yorker)
21. Do you expect 07 to be a good year for you?
I'm very hopeful; I feel that things are moving in the right direction now.
22. How much did you change from this time last year till now?
I'm a bit more stressed out now but I feel more satisfied because I am doing less and less things I don't want to be doing.
23. Do you plan on having a child?
It's a possibility which depends on several other things. . .
24. Will you still be friends with the same people you are friends with now?
I sure hope so!
25. Major lifestyle changes?
26. Will you be moving?
27. What will you make sure doesn't happen in 07 that happened in 06?
That I don't lose any weight. That my career plans go stale.
28. What are your New Years Eve plans?
I'm going to party like it's 1999. Maybe next year we will go to one of those pre-organized parties I keep meaning to go to.
29. Will you have someone to kiss at midnight?
30. One wish for 07?
For the powers that be to take global warming more seriously. For me to make a definitive career decision. And for me to get into a musical group. Oh wait, that was three wishes.