Stolen from Terminal Degree's blog . . .
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
* Delivered a baby
* Was a medical student
* Did NOT work for more than half the year
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't even remember my resolutions for last year. I suppose one of them was probably get back to my pre-baby weight. And seeing that I am now 10 pounds under it (nursing in a wonderful thing), I did keep that one. The other ones probably had something to do with doing well in school and spending less, both of which I failed tremendously at. Well, it wasn't that I did that poorly in school, it's just that I quit. And let's not even go into the money situation. If there is one thing that need reform this year it's that. I do want to get healthier in 2009 by eating better and starting exercise again. I also want to practice oboe daily again.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yours truly. Several other babies were born this year too. Can you say playdates . . .
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No one I was really close to, thank God. Mom's last living uncle passed away though. As did the father of our old church choir's lead singer. Oh, and an ex-member of the choir also lost an aunt and cousin.
5. What countries did you visit?
We did not travel anywhere last year because I was in my third trimester or with newborn. I definitely want to go somewhere in 2009. I don't think I'll be brave enough to ride in a plane with the baby yet though. My hope is to drive to NC to visit my 5 friends who relocated there. Maybe seeing all 5 is unrealistic, so let's say I will visit the 2 I am actually close to.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Money. Sleep. Energy.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 12-13th. When I think of having the baby I don't only think of the actual birth. I tend to relive the entire experience starting with the mild contractions the day before.
August 22. White Coat Ceremony. Will either be my indoctrination to a new profession or forever a reminder of what could have been.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth to my daughter (no one was more scared or clueless).
Nursing her in spite of MANY difficulties (").
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to handle medical school under the circumstances even though I don't think anyone could have.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our Sony HD TV.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
DH. I always knew he'd be a great father and he didn't let me down. Also my brother deserves honorable mention for growing up a hell of a lot.
13. Whose behavior made you depressed?
Someone I was counting on acted apathetic and aloof, more interested in their own needs than in mine when this was an opportunity for them to finally be there for me.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Baby stuff and food for us.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Watching my baby grow. Briefly, training to become a doctor.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Pocketful of Sunshine
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier in many ways, but sadder in some
b) thinner - YAY
c) way, way poorer - BOO
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleep and study. However that would have been impossible as their occurrences were inversely proportional. I also wish I had played more oboe and gone outside more when the weather was nice.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Deeply in love with my little baby. It's indescribable.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Baby Story and Heroes
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is a strong word. But I did meet some annoying people.
23. What was the best book you read?
I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't read any books last year other than random baby stuff and school stuff. For a while all my brain could handle were magazines.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Reicha Wind Quintets
25. What did you want and got?
We got so much baby stuff thanks to generous friends and relatives.
26. What did you want and not get?
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Didn't go out to the movies but saw a few flicks at home. I kinda liked Ironman.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Don't recall what I did on my 34th birthday. I think that by then the panic about school was kicking in.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having gotten that support I wanted from the person mentioned above.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Crappy. I couldn't have cared less . . .
31. What kept you sane?
DH and WoW
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
34. Who did you miss?
Wish my paternal grandmother would have been around to see the baby.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
Several of my classmates were really cool. But more importantly I managed to rekindle a couple of old friendships.
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
You can't be perfect. Sometimes just-good-enough is best.