Thursday, December 20, 2007

The best week in a while

This week has been quite good.

It started off with a nice lesson where I played the Schumann Romance until my mouth hurt. It was one of our most productive lessons yet in terms of the playing. I even made a half decent reed after a reed hiatus.

A day later I *finally* started feeling the baby move in a consistent manner. I was starting to worry since I'm already 22 weeks. I started calling her "the lazy baby". My husband didn't like that and insisted that it's just that she is a good baby. Anyway, I felt her for the first time while driving my Mom to the mall. We were stuck in traffic and I really had to go and there she was . . . doing shiatsu on my bladder apparently. It was the first time I felt something definite in there and it's been a relief and a source of entertainment too. Apparently she has little parties in there after my meals. She's going to enjoy food just like her Mama. Oh dear . . .

Then today I get this email:

Greetings and Welcome to Weill Cornell Medical College!

On behalf of our Committee on Admissions, it is my pleasure to let you know that you have been selected for an early offer of admission to our 2008 entering class.


There was more but that was the part that I kept reading over and over and over again. I received the email at work and at first I thought it was a prank. But no, it really did come from the Admissions people. They normally don't notify until March but they do let a select few in in December. I had a pretty good feeling that I was getting in, but I was not expecting to be in the early pack. This is really a high! I struggled with the decision for so long and it feels sooooooooo good to be at this end and to finally feel like I did the right thing. I am really honored that they chose me as part of this group. Perhaps they're seeing something in me that I haven't quite seen yet. This is definitely a nice ego boost. :-)

Too bad I can't drink because I would really love a toast right now!

4 comments:

Guanaco said...

Congratulations, Hilda, on the medical school notice... and, of course, for the baby :)

It looks like you're going to be very busy in the coming years....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Things are really going your way now. Enjoy yourself and bask in the glow.......
-Darlene

Jillian Camwell said...

What great news! Congratulations! I feel your pain re. the toast--I finished my doctorate when I was 20 weeks along. Everyone just had to drink for me! :) (And now there's breastfeeding! I may have a glass of champagne at New Year's.)

Isn't the Schumann wonderful? It's the kind of piece you can really sink your teeth into.

gelci72 said...

Hilda, when I started to read your blog months ago, I could already tell you were an amazingly brilliant, talented woman - as a musician, scientist, and writer! I am thrilled for you and glad your gifts are getting the recognition they deserve.