Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Serenade

I heard something I really liked on Monday night as I was driving home from one of my finals. It was Dvorak's "Serenade for Winds in d, opus 44". Simply amazing!

I am really startig to think that it might actually be better to play in a smallish ensemble than in a big orchestra. I mean I would still love to play a symphony but there is so much out there for smaller ensembles, pieces which really showcase all the instruments and which sound like a lot of fun to play.

Someday! I've been bad bad bad with my practicing because of finals. I need to get back on track!

But first I must catch up on sleep. I've gotten around 16 hours for the last 4 nights combined.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your discipline, hard work, and passion. I just began practising my oboe again today, the first time in seven years. It felt great. I just wanted to see what some other oboists had to say about the instrument. Thanks for writing down your thoughts. I especially liked the part where you listed your goals (since I can use a few of those myself).

Anonymous said...

Oh ... I'll have to see if I can find some other wind works you might like! Off the top of my head there's the Strauss and the Mozart Grand Partita. NOTHING like works for winds like these!